Today the Commanding Officer of the Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake in California issued a memorandum to the sailors and Marines under his command that called the Iron Order Motorcycle Club a “gang.” The memorandum has been slightly edited for clarity. The pertinent passage is in paragraph three.
The memorandum read:
1. Open and visible association with supremacist, extremist, or criminal gangs by individuals onboard Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake (NAWSCL) poses a criminal and security threat, inhibits the mission of NAWSCL, and interferes with the loyalty, morale, good order and discipline of NAWSCL personnel, and discredits the reputation of the installation and the United States Naval Service. Therefore, pursuant to and in accordance with references… the wearing or displaying of supremacist, extremist, or criminal gang colors by any person onboard NAWSCL is hereby prohibited.
2. The wearing or displaying of gang colors is defined as the visible showing on one’s person, vehicle, or personal belongings of any clothing, symbol, insignia, tattoos, paraphernalia, or photographs that are associated with a known supremacist, extremist, or criminal gang.
3. Known supremacist, extremist, or criminal gangs include, but are not limited to: Aryan Nation, Earth Liberation Front, Mexican Mafia, Mongols, Killer Latino Thugs, BMG, and Iron Order.
4. This prohibition also applies to the wearing or displaying of colors of any club, association, group, or gang that is associated with any supremacist, extremist, or criminal activity or otherwise interferes with the mission or loyalty, morale, or good order and discipline of personnel onboard NAWSCL.
5. Any persons wearing or displaying gang colors attempting to enter NAWSCL will be denied access, until such items, accessories, or displays are removed. Any persons found onboard NAWSCL wearing or displaying gang colors will be asked to remove such items, accessories, or displays. Failure to comply with this request will result in the immediate removal from base.
Additionally, any violation of this order may result in administrative or punitive action.
6. This order applies to all persons onboard NAWS China Lake, to include: military personnel, DOD civilian personnel, contractors, vendors, community pass holders, and any other customers, guests, or visitors.